Thoughts from my studio about artwork; new pieces as well as those things that have have remained hidden in my flat file...

Monday, March 24, 2008

Artomatic and Spring

Love it or hate it. Artomatic 2008 is happening May 9th - June 15th in DC. I happen to be of the "love it" crowd and I've managed some good press and recognition because of what I've done there. Not all of my friends feel the same way. Being a non-juried show, I admit that there is an uneven level to the quality of the artwork, and I know plenty of people that definitely have the "Cooler than Thou" attitude about it and would never consider participating in it, but still go, or talk about it (once again, positive or negative). I also know established, respected artists who participate and have since the beginning and would never deny a relationship with it. I started at number 3, located on at the DC Southwest Waterfront in 2002 just after relocating to NoVA, still reeling from the high of good artistic relationships and atmospheres developed in undergraduate and then graduate school. Artomatic was my first contact with a large group of other artists and I loved it. Also like the reality of art academia, it was uneven, which made sense to me, because everyone rubbed elbows and brains and good things happened, which it seems some people forget about. I actually like that. I know I have spent nights walking around artomatic with people who never make it to one of my shows at a gallery, and they have a great time, they aren't intimidated. They even feel comfortable talking about art after they leave, in the restaurant across the street, or next week at a party. Its good for people and good for art. Ok, thats my sermon I guess, but love or hate it, I'll still be friends with you.
I think Spring is the best time for Artomatic, I loved it last year, its restorative in a way no matter how you look at it, it either confirms you belief in the big uncontrollable monster or your disdain for it.
I'm currently planning my project for it. Another site-specific drawing is in the works - Relentless Continuity 2008? I'll keep you posted, but most likely...... we'll see.


Relentless Continuity (2007)


Relentless Continuity (2007)


Relentless Continuity (2007)

No comments: