Thoughts from my studio about artwork; new pieces as well as those things that have have remained hidden in my flat file...

Monday, February 25, 2008

Artwork of the Week, February 25, Collographs

Station
Collograph on Rives BFK
6.6"x4.5"

This past week I pulled my first collographs (more info about this printing process in the link). I see quite a bit of potential here as there are so many variables in terms of inking and printing (collographs can be printed either intaglio or relief, with a wide variety of inks such as etching, block printing and monotype inks). I also have a half dozen plates still left to be printed for the first time. All of these prints were pulled by me using just a wooden or Teflon-padded baren, with no press. The minuted I peeled the paper off the plate from "Station" the print above, I was transported back to my minimalist roots developed in graduate school. It was a refreshing change from the topographical texture in my recent paintings. I printed it relief, with water-based monotype ink.

Drag (light)
Collograph on Rives BFK
6.6"x4.5"

The next two prints reveal my initial interest in this process, which was the ability to construct the plate with the same mediums I use for painting and getting a fresh surface. The texture of my paintings has made it into print form. These were pulled from the same plate, but two different inking densities. I haven't made a decision about the direction of this print. What do you think?
Drag (heavy)
Collograph on Rives BFK
6.6"x4.5"

As usual, email me if you are interested in these intimate artworks.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I gotta go with Drag (light). The faint nature of the ink makes me want to dive into the piece... look for more... study the texture... and think about just what made it.

The other work feels heavy. It imposes on me and feels closed off. I like the subtle nature of the first over this one.

Let's see more.

John M. Adams said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
John M. Adams said...

I would agree about Drag (light) being the superior print, but I did have to spend a few minutes looking at them both. I will post more this week when I get the plates back, I left the plates in my class because I was using them as examples for my Portfolio Prep class.