Thoughts from my studio about artwork; new pieces as well as those things that have have remained hidden in my flat file...

Monday, July 27, 2009

Roxy Paine on the Roof: Maelstrom (at the Metropolitan Museum)

"Maelstrom" by Roxy Paine
Stainless Steel, 48'x150'x15'

Roxy Paine's appropriately titled installation "Maelstrom" is currently on view at the Iris and B. Gerald Cantor Roof Garden at the Metropolitan Museum (read the press release here). I spent a half an hour with the sculpture enjoying a Brooklyn Summer Ale yesterday, in what really must be one of NYC's best outdoor sculpture spaces, somehow in all of my trips to the Met, I never went to the roof, what was I thinking? (It could be that I usually am here in the winter, when the space is closed)
The stainless steel vascular structure evokes circulatory systems, nervous systems, as well as roots. The play of reflective light and shadow within the space is quite intoxicating. I overheard plenty of regurgitation of the wall text from the people walking around, discussing the structure ("oh, I think the artist is adressing the struggle of industry and progress against nature"), and perhaps my thoughts about it are not to far from that, but I was struck by the feeling of life systems being solidified, frozen in time.
The pieces is actually secured to the roof space via the fire department's water valves on the roof, they are bolted directly to it, the little kid in me wanted to turn them on, to see if it would cause the structure to shake and moan under the pressure, but of course I didn't. The structure activates the space so well, it will be a shame when it is dismantled.
It really is a great piece, a must see, and it is on view until October 25, 2009. The Roof Garden is open daily, weather permitting.

"Maelstrom" by Roxy Paine
Stainless Steel, 48'x150'x15'

Last night my wife and I went to see Fuerza Bruta, an intriguing and entertaining abstract performance that happens above and around the spectator. A highly entertaining and thought-provoking hour - I would absolutely recommend it.

No comments: