Thoughts from my studio about artwork; new pieces as well as those things that have have remained hidden in my flat file...

Sunday, November 18, 2007

Artwork of the Week, November 18

In the Distance
Litho Crayon on Paper
6"x4" image, matted 14"x11"

I'm excited to put this image on The Flat File. In the Distance is one of several litho crayon drawings I created over the past few years. These drawings have been executed as warm-ups in the studio, while traveling or backpacking (litho crayon does not smear easily, much more portable than paint), and even while sitting around the pool or at the beach. I often find that they inform the compositions of my larger paintings.
I love the crisp texture created when the litho crayon catches the tooth of the paper under light pressure, its crispness and clarity are unmatched (the scanned digital image doesn't do it justice). The cropped composition of In the Distance suggests a vastness within the small picture plane. The black and white color scheme highlights the play of value and contrast. These little drawings are some of my favorite pieces I've made, but their small scale has kept them out of exhibitions in the past, only a handful of people have seen them at this point. Let me know if you want to see more.
In the Distance is archivally matted 14x11 and will fit a standard frame.

No comments: